Friday, July 6, 2012

Almost 9 MONTHS since my last POST!

I can't believe how long it has been since I have abandoned my blog! If my blog were a child, I think DCF would have taken it away from me by now. Grad school and the busyness of NYC has distracted me from blogging and after letting too much time pass by with too many pictures to post, I felt overwhelmed to start again. To make up for lost time, I am posting an extra long one!!
Right now, I am actually in Uganda for an internship and it has been four weeks since I have gotten here! I have posted pictures and sent emails to update most people on my amazing experience in Uganda thus far- but not on this blog. If you haven't received these updates and would like to, just let me know! I am really enjoying my time here, but ever since Fourth of July passed and I reminisced about NYC and home, I have been feeling a bit homesick. I decided to look through some old pictures on my camera and thought I would post something to help this homesick feeling pass! I know it has been well over nine months since my last post, but I hope my blog will forgive me for my absence.
Below are some food reviews for you to feast your eyes on during the past nine months in NYC (most from late 2011). I stopped taking pictures when 2nd semester started and started getting lazy. I have not been taking enough pictures but I will definitely start again when I return to NYC!!!


My Favorite Brunch Spot = My Sister's Apartment
Although Good Enough to Eat has great pancakes and biscuits and Isabella's has great egg's benedict, my sister's place produces the overall best brunch especially because I am involved! hehehe. Sometimes we cook brunch after church on Sundays. It always turns out great and tastes better because it's free for me and cheap for her. I always do the dishes to make up for using her food supply so everyone is happy. One week we decided to make..
Pancakes.. Pumpkin Pancakes!
Trader Joes Pumpkin Pancake and Waffle mix is so easy to prepare and packed with pumpkiny flavor! So cheap and makes a ton of pancakes. I love pumpkin and pumpkiny foods!  Trader Joe's is amazing

Fresh pumpkin butter straight from a pumpkin patch made a perfect topping for our pancakes. Worked better than maple syrup! Yum Yum! Thank you Bauman!

A little toasty but still fluffy and delicious! We added some sliced bananas on top for extra potassium and flavor. We had some greek yogurt on the side as well!

 and.. of course we need eggs with our pancakes
feta cheese with mushrooms, tomato and basil! (with ketchup!)


My Favorite Late Night Restaurant!= Veselka!!
I LOVE BEETS so when I discovered a traditional Ukrainian dish called Borscht on the food network, I knew I had to try it. Borscht is a soup made out of  beets and it has been around for centuries.Veselka is known to have the best around. I knew I would love it when I heard about it, and when I tried it, I definitely did. Veselka is open 24 hours and they have other delicious Ukrianian/diner food. It is always packed but worth the wait. If you don't like beets, their other dishes deserve just as much hype. They have exactly what you need when your stomach is grumbling around 2AM. 

BORSCHT!!!
Packed with beets and beety flavor! other ingredients include cabbage, onions, and other veggies. Yumm Yumm!! I love the deep red color which symbolizes "stop right here" in European culture. It came with a side of bread to dip. My favorite Ukrainian dish!!!
In addition to pancakes, waffles, and other American breakfast fare, Veselka has Blintzes!! Award Winning Ukrainian style crepes filled with lightly sweetened farmer's cheese!! I recommend that you add their fresh raspberry sauce on the side. The cheese is slightly sweet, creamy and stuffed inside these delicate crepes. It was so delicious and definitely a winner!



Dyakuyu Veselka! I went to the location in the East Village on 2nd Avenue.. but they opened another branch! Yay for more Veselkas in New York.


My Favorite Upper Westside Restaurant=Recipe!!!
Since I live so far up (151st street) in NY, most of the downtown, Chelsea restaurants take a long time to get to. I am therefore so grateful to have Recipe nearby. They serve one of the best brunches and also have amazing New American food for dinner. I went there for a friend's birthday a while ago and have been there multiple times ever since. The space is tiny with only about six tables and a bar. The decor is cozy and the food is so fresh and tasty it is a must try if you are in the area.
We got one of the special appetizers featured for the night- Uni with Poached egg!

The egg was cooked just right and the uni was the perfect flavor
Grilled Grass Fed NY Steak.. I didn't get it when  I went this time, but I got it the next time I came here because it looked so good.. Cooked perfectly and tasted delicious!

Look at them grill marks!
Seared Hudson Valley Duck Breast - farro, tuscan kale, baby turnips, salsify, honey mustard jus.
Pan Seared American Red Snapper chorizo, white beans, chickpeas, tomato confit, melted leeks, broccoli rabe, eggplant
Butternut squash soup with cheese bread

Favorite California Beach Restaurant/Shack= Reel Inn
During my last trip home to Cali which was all the way back in December, my friends and I actually got to go hiking in Malibu (during winter!! I love CALI!!) and eat Reel Inn- our longtime favorite place to eat whenever we are in the area. They have the best and freshest seafood around. It is a beach side shack with an assortment of fish to choose from cooked your style- usually Cajun style 

Ready for Seafood!
After a long day of hiking (intense hiking!!), we were ready to eat at Reel Inn.. We were looking forward to it all day.. We were hungry.
So many varieties to choose from, all so fresh and flavorful!!

I think this was the snapper (might be wrong)- cooked cajun style on a bed of cajun style rice...

Grilled scallops.. I love scallops- especially big fat juicy ones.

Cajun style sea bass, rice, and potatoes.. they have the best cajun style rice, potatoes, and salad to compliment your fish.

CATFISH!! most of us are allergic to cats but definitely not catfish.

Usually how our meals end together ..

I think someone finished the grains of rice and lettuce piece off this plate after this picture was taken.. ahah


ONE of My Favorite Dessert Spots- SPOT Dessert Bar!!
I unfortunately only took pictures of this place the first time I came here.. but I have been to The Spot several times now and am always blown away. If you want to have more than your usual ice cream or cookie for dessert.. You must try Spot Dessert Bar on Saint Marks in the East Village!! They have spectacular, imaginary desserts packed with an Asian twist. I love desserts with green tea, taro, yuzu, red bean, etc. so this place is made just for me. They have a seasonal dessert tapas menu and everything I have tried has been fantastic. 

Yuzu Eskimo- blackberries, raspberry foam, chocolate pearls, oreo soil, chocolate ganache

Chocolate Green Tea Lava green tea-white chocolate ganach, green tea ice cream

So fun breaking this open.. but tasted even better. This is their most popular dessert on the menu.
Uganda may not have the assortment of restaurants that NYC (and Cali) has to offer.. but I am grateful for the options I have here. Ugandan food is simple, filling, and good. Pretty much the same staples everyday but nothing to complain about. I will make sure to post about Ugandan fare before I leave! I am glad to be back on this blog even though I am halfway around the world. Although I miss home, friends, and family.. I am definitely NOT ready to leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment