Thursday, August 9, 2012

Engeye and TRC- Two Amazing Clinics in Uganda

After finishing up the reports we were assigned to write for the WHO, Caitlin and I arranged to visit two rural clinics, both of which we had wanted to visit for a long time. During our first weekend in Uganda, we had gone rafting along the River Nile in Jinja and met two nursing students who were volunteering at Tekera Resource Center. After hearing about the organization and getting connected with the volunteer coordinator/project manager, we finally made it out there for several days this past week.

Tekera Resource Center (TRC) is a level one clinic which means that it provides very basic services and medications without the ability to do any operations or surgical procedures. There is only one nurse on duty from Monday through Friday and have a drop-in dentist every Friday. One amazing aspect about TRC is that it is a 26% self-sustaining organization through patient fees and the help of its pineapple farm, craft market, and other revenue-building endeavors. While 26% seems low, this is 26% better than most clinics and hospitals in the villages which are almost always fully sustained through donations and international aid. 
When we arrived, we got a tour of the center and learned alot about their work. The following days, we got to shadow Harriet (the nurse on duty), visited the school, and saw the “magic tree” where the villagers retrieve fresh water to drink. The clinic was slow with only a few patients who were seen for malaria (the most common ailment seen at the clinic) but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute at the center and experiencing life in Tekera for the three days I was there.

We were sad to leave but went on to our next scheduled visit to Engeye, a level two clinic in the village of Ddegeye.  It is currently being managed by Kathy and Joe, a doctor and pharmacist couple who are stationed there for 18 months. Darryl, an MPH student, is also currently out there working on a village maternal and child health project. He was looking forward to having Caitlin and me visit to help him during the last stages of his work

Overall, my experience at Engeye was indescribable and one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. I did not want to leave and absolutely fell in love with the people, the village, and the amazing work that Engeye is doing for the Ddegeye community. The little that I was able to help with Darryl’s Village Health Team (VHT) project on maternal and child health was invigorating and I wished I could have had more time to contribute. My experience shadowing Kathy when she saw an emergency patient who was suffering from various complications during her last month of pregnancy was also a moving experience. I spent some time digging in the fields, doing dishes, and helped cooked several of the meals. While some may consider these laborious chores, I found these activities calming and I was able to reflect upon what I take for granted and how selfish life in the States can make me . While life in the villages can seem slow, time went by so fast. The people at Engeye- the entire staff, the Ddegeye community, the children- are what made the experience. Kathy and Joe are two of the most incredible and giving people I have ever met.

Kathy and Joe envision a lot for Engeye but can only do so much. One of their dreams is to be able to expand the clinic to have a maternity ward. Every little bit helps. I urge all of you who are able to contribute even a dollar to make a donation.

Despite only being there for four days, I feel like I learned and experienced so much. I would go back in a heartbeat and miss it already.

Our first stop was to TRC
Tekera Resource Center's Mission Statement www.tekera.org
Harriet, the nurse at TRC. She is so full of character and spunk!
The exam room at TRC
The medicine cabinet
Handmade intricate baskets at TRC

A group of women come every Thursday to weave baskets for the craft market.
I tutored the kids at who were studying for their PLEs (similar to the SATs in the States) at Tekera Primary School (right next to TRC). Some of the practice questions on religion and family were very interesting. The kids were so eager to learn and so intelligent. I hope they go on to achieve their dreams and everything they are capable of.
Practice PLEs are printed everyday in the newspaper
We visited the magic tree where all the villagers go to collect clean water to drink. I am not exactly sure of how this tree works to maintain clean water but it was one very cool tree. 

Kids collecting the water
so happy to carry clean water back home
Harriet makes us matoke for dinner
A different way of preparing matoke is in its whole form, unmashed and mixed with sauce. This dish is called katogo.
We went into town to purchase eggs and fruit for the next morning.
Happy kids of Tekera. They are always excited to get their picture taken.
I am sure most of you are well aware that there was an Ebola outbreak in Uganda. The WHO offices were bustling when all of this was going on.The Lizard provided us with important info while were in Tekera.
The sunset in Tekera. My camera does not do it justice. It was breathtaking.
Time to head to Engeye
We stopped by a famous bakery in Masaka before heading to Engeye. The pastries in Uganda are very dry but they smell and look delicious. 
The exam room in Engeye

Krest and Stoney- the best sodas I have ever tried. I am not a big soda drinker but I would be if these were available in the States. The use of real sugar and glass bottles makes the soda here ten times better. I love the sweet bitter lemon flavor of krest and the gingery goodness of Stoney!
The pharmacy at Engeye
Nile Perch waiting to be fried
It was Posie's (the cook at Engeye) birthday! Time to celebrate! Posie was sooooo happy!
Sizzling fish
The birthday cake! Smelled delicious! The frosting was great! The cake itself.. dryyyy
Jackie and Sierra. The sweetest and cutest kids in all of Uganda.
Sierra getting her hair did
Adorable.
Kathy and Joe's home is right near the clinic
They have a beautiful yard with an amazing view
They have chickens, pigs and two dogs.
 This is Kathy with Jeb (one of their cute pups)
We went in to the town of Kinoni to buy fruits and veggies.
We made pineapple fried rice for lunch! Better than what you can get at a Thai restaurant! It was fun to prepare and nice to eat something different from Ugandan fare
Traditional potatoes
Sauteed eggplant
Lunch time at Engeye
We took a nice walk through Ddegeye Village
Kids hard at work in Ddegeye
Ddegye is beautiful
Kite flying!
Joe shows me his coffee trees. Plans are to expand and start producing Engeye Coffee! Hopefully this can happen within the next several years.
A pork shop in the town of Kinoni. They weigh the meat the old school way! It was very cool.
Joe prepares the pork

I saw wasabi and seaweed and I got very excited
We actually made maki for dinner!
It was so fun and so delicious. Thanks to Kathy for bringing all of the materials we needed from the States! It was amazing! She even brought sushi rice and seaweed seasoning!!! I felt like I was back home.
Daryl was really proud of his maki
You wouldn't believe that it was his first time!
A common form of transportation
Boda ride to Kinoni. Riding bodas in the villages are much more enjoyable than in Kampala.
Plans are to finish the Engeye staff house within the next several months
Kathy and Joe- two amazing people with big hearts and big dreams for Engeye
I was so content being with amazing people, cooking and eating delicious food, learning and being able to help with important and meaningful work for the community, and doing everything else in between. I am so truly fortunate for having been given this opportunity. I know I’ve said this already, but please support TRC and Engeye in whatever way possible. A little goes a long way!!

3 comments:

  1. I love this post!! SO inspiring and such beautiful pictures. I wish I could be there with you. Besos, guapa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stella! Good Job,,,, I am always cheer you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks for summarizing such lovely memories and saying such nice things! :-) Hope you're doing well, Stella!

    ReplyDelete