Saturday, August 11, 2012

Must Reads

I have gotten a lot of downtime to read either before bed, on the bus while traveling, or when I have time to myself in our room on a rainy day. I am grateful because I have been able to finish three incredible books- all of which warrant great praise. All of these books moved me in different ways, each with its own message and significance.

The Little Bee- is a story about a Nigerian refugee girl and a British magazine editor. You do not need to know anything more about this book before you read it. Chris Cleave is brilliant (I read one of his other books, Gold, which I absolutely loved as well). You won’t put it down until you get to the very end. I am so excited to read Incendiary, another one of Cleave’s books that I haven’t read yet. 

Emergency Sex and Other Desperate Measures-  about three UN peacekeepers who recount experiences from their missions in Cambodia, Somalia, Haiti, Rwanda, Bosnia, and Liberia. It is an eye-opening account of the struggles that humanitarian aid faces in our world. This book is in a class of its own. Everyone must read it!!

The Kite Runner- a truly touching tale about a boy, Amir, growing up in Afghanistan and trying to win the affection of his tormented father. Amir’s growth is poignant as he struggles to define and mend the relationships that matter most.  I am sure everyone has heard of it before and/or has read it.  It is an impressive novel.


On a different note, this is my last weekend in Uganda. I am so sad. It feels absolutely unreal. Caitlin and I have felt at home here and we are both not ready to leave. I don’t want to think about it yet because I haven’t absorbed the reality that we will have to say goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment