Monday, August 8, 2011

Impromptu Summer Ovencue

With summer well underway, I thought it was overdue time to have a weekend barbecue. Upon realizing last minute that my aunt's grill was way too big to lug over, I changed my plans from grilling to oven cooking- hence the name ovencue! I never cooked ribs before and am not very skilled in the technique of cooking meat. I realize that this skill comes with a lot of practice which I have none of at all. Despite being a novice, I attempted the challenge of making baby back ribs by looking up the easiest way to cook them in the oven. I bought some smoky bbq sauce from Trader Joes, marinated them over night, and slow-cooked those babies for a few hours the next day. They turned out pretty good for a newbie and I am thankful that they didn't burn or turn rubbery. Next time though, I think I need to follow expert advice and follow Bobby Flay's recommendation to, FIRST boil THEN oven roast for more succulent-tasting ribs. In addition to the ribs, I made some salsa, salad, and pasta, and this ovencue party was ready to go. I invited just a few people and got to see some friends I hadn't seen in a long time. Overall, it was a nice way to spend a summer night in California. I hope everyone is enjoying this amazing weather while it lasts.

After two and a half hours in the oven, the ribs were ready to come out
out of the oven ribs

..cool off..
Photobucket

..and go on the table!
Ribs

salsa= tomatoes, onions, cilantro, peppers + two secret ingredients
Photobucket

mix up the ingredients
Photobucket

and you have salsa ready to serve with your favorite chips!
Photobucket

Time to eat
Photobucket

Yummmyyyy
Photobucket

Mandu smells food
Photobucket

Family portrait
Photobucket

Matching smiles
Photobucket

Jina found these cool lemon-flavored ice cubes to compliment her lemonade basil gin cocktails! Recipes for her specialty cocktail creations will hopefully come in a future post

Photobucket

Smile Sophiaaa
Photobucket

Happiness
Photobucket

Moist dulce de leche cake for dessert (compliments of Sophia)
Photobucket

Life is just a bowl of cherries.
Photobucket

Weekends should be longer.


2 comments:

  1. Stellaaaaaaa~~ haha "ovencue" haha
    omgg r those ur sister's nails? they are so pretty!
    I should have smiled & looked at camera >.<
    keep up ur blogginggg~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, it looks like we missed out~ The food looks good! Post more food pictures. Like cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete