Thursday, August 11, 2011

Not Your Average School Food

I grew up eating school food- school cafeteria food that is. I remember the flavored milk cartons, cardboard-cheese pizzas, rubbery hot dogs, and those stale, chewy microwaved hamburgers. I spent the entirety of my elementary school years eating from the public school system's lunch menu. This often meant eating poor quality, nutrient-deficient food for a reduced price.

Thus, when I first heard of School Food Blooming Roll- a Korean restaurant specializing in Korean-style sushi rolls (kim-bap)- I was hesitant to try it. But I was still willing to give the place a chance. I have now been there several times since my first experience and can definitely say it is entirely different from my memories of school cafeteria food, especially since it's Korean cuisine. The prices are decent with an assortment of rice, noodle, soup, and roll dishes. I went there again for dinner this week and tried several items all of which made for a delicious meal and a great way to catch up with friends mid-week!

The ambience has a modish feel with cutesy tables and decor.
Photobucket
The place is small though with usually a wait.

I suggest at least one of the special roll combos. We had the one with tuna, anchovy, and kimchi.
Photobucket
All tasty and a twist from your traditional kimbap ingredients.

Jjolmyun.
Photobucket
Chewy, thin rice noodles with kimchi, seaweed, and green onions.

What they call risotto but more like fried rice.
Photobucket
We got the non-spicy cheesy shrimp. Look at all the cheesinesss!

Halfway through our Ra-bok-gi in a bowl! Photobucket
Savory spicy sauce with chewy Korean rice cakes (dduk), Ramen, Ohdeng (fish cakes), cabbage and onions. Something easy to make at home but still delicious anywhere.

Too much food?
Photobucket
We were hungry!

Grace (on the right) will hopefully be on T.V. for a national commercial which she has a call-back for today! I predict all this yummy food gave her the energy she needed to wow the producers (fingers crossed!)
Photobucket
Ashley (on the left), a friend for over 15 years and counting! She is spending her day at Disneyland before her season pass expires. Lucky!!

Although I know schools won’t be serving anchovy sushi rolls and spicy rice cakes any time soon, I am glad more attention is being given to providing healthier, more diverse options for kids who eat from school lunch menus. Check out Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, a fight for more unprocessed, nutritious meals in schools! I realize I stretched this metaphoric review of School Food Blooming Roll quite a bit, but overall, I hope everyone gives this place a try. The unique rolls are definitely worth it.

1 comment:

  1. this is my comment for the awesome stella lee.

    your blog inspires me to do amazing things, such as trying out new kimbap places. your pictures are so awe-inspiring that i'd pay you to make large prints for me. your vernacular is so eloquent that i'm brought to tears -- such as when you described kimbap as "tasty with a twist."

    you're cool.

    ReplyDelete