Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Taco Testimony

Tacos this weekend reminded me of a book I read called “A Taco Testimony- Meditations on Family, Food and Culture,” by Denise Chavez. I read this book for a food history course a few years ago where we read, wrote about, and discussed a number of food history texts. This book was one of my favorites. After we read it, we discussed the symbolic role of the taco and how it provided not only nourishment, but a source of empowerment and stability throughout Chavez’s life. While the taco doesn’t have as much cultural value associated with it to me as it may have for Chavez, I grew up with tacos and connect them with very good memories. Southern Californians are spoiled with having access to the best Mexican food around. If anyone is looking for a good read with good food, I recommend Chavez's memoir with King Taco. Que Viva el Taco!

Only found in So Cal...
Photobucket

Hannah as she connects with her tacos.
Photobucket

Carne asada, onions, and cilantro on fresh corn tortillas
Photobucket

We couldn't resist the nachos
Photobucket

We really couldn't.
Photobucket

Jen (visiting from New York) was really missing good Mexican food.
Photobucket
They need to bring this to the East Coast soon.


"Tacos are a celebration of hope."
"Tacos can save your life."
-Quotes from A Taco Testimony by Denise Chavez

2 comments:

  1. Yum~~~~~ I LOVE TACOS! Esp. anything of the El Taurino, King Taco variety

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your sneaky pictures!
    -jen and hannah

    ReplyDelete